≡ Menu

Why can’t I let it dry naturally?

When flooding is allowed to simply dry on its own it increases the risk of mold infiltrating the environment and due to the time it would take for nature to dry the water damage the mold would have sufficient time to begin to grow in the home.

What do I do when my home floods?

If possible turn off the source of the water immediately. Turn off all electricity in the affected area. Remove as many of the contents in the area affected as possible to limit the damage to the items. Call in a professional to help you assess the damage and what is needed to restore your home to like new.

What happens if I don’t do anything after flooding?

In addition to the health hazards of potential mold growth there could be structural compromise, Any wood or paper products that are in the water become damaged beyond repair, carpets and flooring can be damaged and the glue on the back of wallpaper can degrade and release from the wall.

Can I fix water damage on my own?

It is not advisable to attempt removing significant amounts or water and doing your own repair to the damaged areas. This is because the everyday household equipment available to you is not powerful enough to remove all the water, and any water left behind invites mold spores to bloom.

Why is there mold on my walls?

The cause of moldy walls varies. Some causes of mold in the home are high humidity, leaking pipes, leaking roof, condensation, poor ventilation, wet clothes, damp basement or water beneath the homes foundation. Mold needs very little to thrive, it needs organic materials, such as the wood framing, carpets, insulation, or dry wall material; as well as moisture, which can come from the sources listed above. Mold only needs 24 to 48 hours to begin to grow in your home.

How do I prevent washing machine leaks?

Regularly check the hoses and attachments, and replace the hoses at least every 4 or 5 years whether they need it or not. There could be deterioration on the inside of the hose that you can not see. Tighten the hoses regularly, and turn off the water supply when you are leaving your home for more than 24 hours.

Will my insurance cover the cost of restoration?

Many insurance companies require additional coverage for flooding from natural causes. However, with many insurance policies water damage from faulty plumbing, such as a burst pipe will be covered by the standard policy. Review your policy or contact your agent directly to clarify what your policy covers.

How long is the restoration process?

This depends entirely on the individual situation, no two situations are going to be the same. So putting an exact time frame down is not practical; however, generally speaking the basic dry out will take appx 3 or 4 days, with extended periods needed for more severe damage and or structural repair.

Why is IICRC certification important?

Straight from www.iicrc.org to the consumer: “IICRC Certified Firms have earned the right to display the IICRC logo as a symbol of quality. In order to achieve IICRC-certified status, firms must meet a rigorous list of standards in business ethics and expertise. All IICRC Certified Firms must: Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity. Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests. Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry. Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident. Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration. The IICRC actively has relationships with fiber producers, carpet and fabric mills, furnishing manufacturers and retailers, and others affiliated with the industry. The use of IICRC service professionals is specified in leading manufacturers maintenance brochures and warranties.”

What are the hazards of mold in home?

According to www.cdc.gov: “Mold exposure does not always present a health problem indoors. However some people are sensitive to molds. These people may experience symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation when exposed to molds. Some people may have more severe reactions to molds. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Immunocompromised persons and persons with chronic lung diseases like COPD are at increased risk for opportunistic infections and may develop fungal infections in their lungs. In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.”

How does a restoration company dry out water damage?

Any remaining standing water is removed from the affected area, then we use specialized industrial strengh air moving equipment as well as industrial dehumidifiers to remove any remaining moisture.

Do I have to use my insurance companies recommended service?